Maintaining a healthy colon (large intestine) is important to a smoothly functioning digestive system. According to Sean G. Mayfield, M.D., Board Certified Colon & Rectal Surgeon specializing in laproscopic and robotic surgery and colonoscopy, The colon’s main function is to absorb water from the stool. It absorbs sodium and releases potassium, all of which aids in the digestive process. Eating the right kinds of foods and drinking healthy beverages can aid in proper colon function. Colon health is very important, and sometimes overlooked. Here is a list of five of the top foods and beverages, in our opinion, for maintaining colon health:
- Water – insufficient amount causes constipation and toxicity in the bowel and kidneys
- Fermented foods (yogurt, kefir) – replenishes the friendly bacteria needed for a healthy colon
- Fiber – nature’s scrub brush; it cleans out the digestive system
- Raw spinach – In addition to cleansing, chlorophyll (in green vegetables) soothes and heals damaged tissue in the digestive tract
- Hot beverages (hot green tea) – for many people, helps with regularity
Interested in reading more? Feel Free to check out our list of Top Five Foods for Fighting Cancer
Remember you should always consult your primary physician before beginning any exercise, diet, or nutritional supplementifonal program.