The problem of childhood obesity has been all over the media in recent years. Too many kids these days are not healthy or overweight and it is due, in large part, to the foods they’re eating, many of which may be high in carbohydrates, sugar, and unhealthy levels of fat. Parents, of course you want to raise your kids to be as in shape as possible. Below is a list of five of the healthiest foods you can give your kids to help them keep their weight down and ensure that they get an adequate supply of essential nutrients.
- Low-fat cheese: high in calcium and a healthy way to encourage consumption of veggies
- Baby carrots: these beta-carotene-rich vegetables are great to go on the side or with sandwiches
- Cantaloupe: one of the few fruits with both beta-carotene and vitamin C, it’s a great alternative for kids who aren’t big vegetable eaters
- Eggs: one scrambled egg is packed with protein, which builds and repairs muscles, and vitamin D, which helps the body absorb calcium
- Nut butters: fast and easy and contains essential fat and protein.
Interested in reading more? Check out Top Five Foods for Teenagers
Remember, you should always consult with your primary physician before beginning any exercise, diet, or nutritional supplementation program.